The DJI Osmo Action 2 was leaked in a video by popular YouTube vlogger Peter McKinnon, complete with retail packaging, as spotted by Moe K @mkmkmk13.
— Moe K (@mkmkmk13) September 30, 2021
I was completely wrong about the DJI Osmo Action 2 and now there is indisputable proof that the Action 2 is real! It was accidentally leaked in a video by Peter McKinnon, one of the most popular vloggers on YouTube who is apparently testing it before its release. Given that there’s a retail package, it could mean that DJI is ready to release this in time for Black Friday or possibly even earlier.
The design looks virtually identical to the 3D render shown previously by Jasper Ellens, which shows a compact action cam similar to the GoPro Hero Session, with a removable modular LCD screen, similar to the Insta360 One R.
‘Leakers have no original info’ says @OsitaLV … this tells me more about his sources lately then mine.
When put in a effort, orig. sources do tell, become friends and send you the good stuff.
— Jasper Ellens – 27 Leaks (@JasperEllens) September 26, 2021
Because the leak appears to confirm what Jasper Ellens previously showed, it appears likely that the specs shown by Jasper Ellens may be real as well, including:
- 1/1.7 inch sensor, which has an area of around 43 sq. mm. which is almost 1.45 times larger than the 29 sq. mm. size of the GoPro Hero 10 sensor.
- wearable with a pendant via a magnet, similar to Insta360 Go and Insta360 Go 2.
- 4k 120fps at 16:9 aspect ratio (3840 x 1920)
- 4k 60fps 4:3 aspect ratio (4096 x 3072). This one is bizarre, because it’s higher than the photo resolution, which is claimed to be 4000 x 3000.
- Weight (for camera module): 56 grams
If these specs are true, the Action 2 could be of particular interest to the FPV community, which has been longing for a successor to the Hero Session. With a 4K framerate in 4:3 aspect ratio on par with the Hero 10 but with a much larger sensor and much lower weight, it could be very attractive indeed. The big questions are stabilization performance and price. Hero 10 has had excellent stability that becomes even better when combined with ReelSteady Go. It will be interesting to see if DJI can add stabilization that is at least competitive with ReelSteady Go.