How long can you record on the Insta360 Go 2 64GB and 32GB versions before they run out of battery, run out of storage, or overheat? I tested and here are the results.
Insta360 Go 2 (reviewed here) is one of the smallest stabilized HD action cameras in the world. Because of its small size, it can be used to shoot unique videos in unusual places that would be difficult or impossible for other cameras. It is also wearable and is very popular for POV videos, shooting b-rolls, sports, and FPV drones.
Yesterday, Insta360 released a new 64GB version with double capacity. However, its recording time may also be limited not just by storage but also by overheating or through the maximum recording time limit per single video.
Standard Video vs Pro Video Mode
In addition, Go 2 has two recording modes: standard video mode and Pro mode, which has better stabilization (including 360-degree horizon leveling) and which lets you change the stabilization type, aspect ratio, orientation or field of view even after shooting. You can also keyframe the video to make it move slightly up, down, left or right. The disadvantage of the Pro mode is that it takes up more space and is more likely to overheat the Go 2. You’ll also need to process the Pro mode video in the Insta360 phone app or Insta360 Studio desktop app. However, many people prefer to shoot in Pro mode for better flexibility.
How long can you record each video?
As I mentioned, the Go 2 has a maximum recording time per single video because of overheating, and the internal memory cache. Here are the limits, depending on whether you’re using Pro Video mode or Standard video mode.
Pro Video mode (1440p, 30fps, high bit rate mode):
- Stationary, room temperature, unplugged: 9 mins 36 secs. (overheated).
- Unplugged, in refrigerator: 20 mins. 4 secs. (ran out of battery). Note: the charge case can charge the Go 2 around 3 times.
- Refrigerator, recording while in charging case: 30 mins. (recording time limit reached). File size: approx. 16.2GB. Note: in addition to the charging case, there are other alternatives to power the Go 2, including the new USB powered mount, which enables you to charge it while recording, via USB or via your LiPo battery (with suitable adapter).
Standard Video mode (1440p, 30fps, high bit rate mode):
- Default standard mode in refrigerator: 15 minutes (recording time limit reached). File size: 3.84GB.
- Unplugged, in refrigerator, recording limit set to 30 minutes: 25 minutes, 26 seconds (ran out of battery). File size: 5.82GB.
Insta360 Go 2 Storage Capacity Chart
|32GB (28GB usable)||64GB (57GB usable)|
|Pro Video mode (1440p 30fps)||51 mins.||1 hour 46 minutes|
|Standard Video mode|
|2 hours||4 hours 9 minutes|
Where to buy?
Insta360 Go 2 is available directly from Insta360 (scroll down to choose the 64GB or 32GB version), through B&H Photo, or Amazon (beware of reseller markup):
- Insta360 Go 2 64GB ($330) Insta360 Store / B&H Photo / Amazon
- Insta360 Go 2 32GB ($300) Insta360 Store / B&H Photo / Amazon
Thanks for using these affiliate links so I can do more tests and reviews. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments. I do my best to answer them.