Ricoh Theta SC2 is a new entry level 360 camera with 4K 360 video capability, designed to be a 360 camera for everyone. Here is the product video:
The SC2 appears similar to the Ricoh Theta V, with identical photo and video resolution, and is likewise compatible with Theta V plugins, but there are some differences between them:
Theta SC2 advantages vs. Theta V
– SC2 features a small LED display that shows the battery level and shooting mode.
– Startup time is faster than Theta V (starts up in 1.5 seconds).
– Preset modes (Face, Night View, and Lens-by-Lens Exposure modes). Face mode detects faces in the photo and appears to prioritize the exposure for faces. Night view optimizes the exposure for low light shots by using a slower shutter speed. Lens-by-Lens Exposure lets you prioritize the front lens or rear lens for exposure.
– Glossy surface, available in multiple colors (Theta V is only available in black).
– SC2 is lighter at 104 grams compared to the Theta V’s 121 grams.
Theta SC2 disadvantages vs. Theta V
– The maximum recording time for videos is 3 minutes (compared to 25 minutes for the Theta V).
– Theta V has 4k 360 video live streaming while Theta SC2 does not.
– Internal memory is smaller at 14GB vs 19GB for Theta V. The internal memory can story 3000 photos or 32 minutes of videos.
– Theta V features 360 spatial audio, whereas SC2 has monoaural audio.
– Theta V has a microphone jack while SC2 does not. Theta V is compatible with the TA-1 spatial audio microphone whereas SC2 is not.
Theta SC2 Price and availability
The Theta SC2 is $299.95, and will be released on or around December 2, 2019. With a slightly lower price than Theta V, the Theta SC2 may be an attractive and affordable option for entry level virtual tours and casual videos.