If you want to get the Insta360 Go 2 for the lowest price possible, there’s good news: you can now get the Insta360 Go 2 by itself, without the charge case, for just $179, which is 40% less than the $299 price of the complete Insta360 Go 2. But can you really use the Go 2 without the charge case? How would you charge it or get the videos? I answer all your questions in this video, where I also compare it to the Caddx Peanut, a modified version of the Insta360 Go 2.
Insta360 Go 2 is a thumb-sized camera that can capture stabilized video at 2.5k, with 360 horizon leveling. Its small size lets you get unique shots that wouldn’t be possible with a phone or GoPro. The Go 2 normally includes a charge case that also doubles as a wireless remote control, which is very convenient to use.
Although Go 2 has excellent quality and is very convenient, many people complained to me about the price, which is $299, a substantial increase over the $199 price of its predecessor. The price difference was largely due to the multifunction charge case, which not only functioned as a wireless remote control but also had OLED screen, a 1/4-20 tripod for the Go 2, and could even be used as a mini tripod for the Go 2.
Nonetheless, some users don’t really need the charge case. For example, FPV pilots use the Go 2 on drones, which puts the Go 2 beyond the range of the charge case.
For that reason, Caddx licensed the Go 2 and created the Caddx Peanut, a modified version of the Go 2 for FPV pilots. It had no charge case and was more affordable at only $259.
When the Caddx Peanut was released, I asked Insta360 if they could also make the Go 2 available by itself. And now they finally have and it’s significantly cheaper than even the Caddx Peanut!
Caddx Peanut vs Insta360 Go 2 without charge case
Caddx Peanut is $259, while Insta360 Go 2 without charge case is $179. Even if you include the cost of a USB power mount ($20), it’s still significantly less than the Caddx Peanut.
Caddx Peanut has a reinforced body that is designed to help the Go 2 withstand crashes. However, the thicker body means that the Caddx Peanut won’t fit most mounts designed for the Go 2, nor will the Caddx Peanut fit the charge case. Moreover, the Go 2 USB Power Mount also offers extra protection to the Go 2, and it’s thicker than the Caddx Peanut shell.
Caddx Peanut has a smaller shutter button that makes it easier to insert in a case without accidentally pressing the shutter. However, the USB Power Mount’s special design allows you to insert the Go 2 easily without accidentally pressing the shutter.
Insta360 Go 2 without charge case FAQ
- Can you really use the Go 2 without the charge case?
Yes but you’ll need the Go 2 USB Power Mount ($20), which has a USB Type C port for charging and data transfer.
- How do you charge the Go 2 without the charge case?
Use the Go 2 USB Power Mount ($20), which has a USB Type C port for charging.
- How do you transfer videos from the Go 2 without the charge case?
Use the Go 2 USB Power Mount ($20), which has a USB Type C port for data transfer.
- How do you change the settings of the Go 2 without the charge case?
You can use your phone and the Insta360 app. The app can connect to the Go 2 and change its settings (or even record remotely) even without the charge case.
- Can you control the Go 2 without the charge case and without a phone?
Yes you can. In the Insta360 app, you can customize the functions of the Go 2’s shutter button. Four functions are customizable:
– Quick Cap 1 (when the Go 2 is off and you press the button once).
– Quick Cap 2 (when the Go 2 is off and you press the button twice).
– Single Press (when the Go 2 is turned on and you press the button once).
– Double Press (when the Go 2 is turned on and you press the button twice).
Once you setup these controls, you will be able to use these four functions without a phone and without a charge case.
- Is the USB Power Mount waterproof?
The USB Power Mount is not waterproof, but the Go 2 by itself without the charge case is waterproof.
- What kind of mount does the USB Power Mount have?
It uses a standard GoPro mount.
- Can you use the USB Power Mount on a tripod?
Yes if you use a GoPro to 1/4-20 adapter.
- Can you buy the Go 2 charge case by itself?
Yes you can ($99).
- Why is the standard Insta360 Go 2 ($299) more expensive than the Go 2 by itself ($179) plus the charge case by itself ($99)?
Because the standard Insta360 Go 2 includes not only the Go 2 and charge case but also several mounting accessories, including the magnetic pendant.
Where to buy
The Insta360 Go 2 without charge case and related accessories are available here:
- Insta360 Go 2 without charge case $179
- USB Power Mount $20
- iFlight USB cable $17
- Insta360 Go 2 charge case only (no camera) $99