|some of GO6D’s cameras|
At least nine
different 360-degree cameras are being developed by startup GO6D
, although details are sparse at this time.
1. The GO6D Trie
is a consumer-oriented 360-degree camera with 3 lenses. The advantage of having 3 lenses is that each of the lenses require a smaller field of view than a 2-lens 360-degree camera, thus having potentially less fisheye distortion. GO6D claims that the Trie offers the “best-in-class fully spherical video solution.”
2. The Trie Pro is a tall 3-lens camera with a form that resembles a handle-mount flash. The large lenses suggest that this will have higher image quality and possibly higher resolution.
3. BeMeBe is a 3-lens camera with a cylindrical body and a collapsible design.
4. SWAG is a green spherical camera that appears to have two lenses.
5. GO6D has a silver disclike 3-lens camera that is yet to be named.
6. The Spartan appears to be a spherical camera with approximately 4 lenses, and with a striking red and black design.
7. The “Wo-Qi” is a spherical yellow camera. It is not clear how many lenses it has, but it appears to have approximately 6 lenses.
8. Puff6D is described as having “6 dimensions.” It has a collapsible design.
9. Pinc is a spherical camera that appears to have 8 lenses.
It is not apparent how GO6D will differentiate these cameras that seem to have overlapping features.
GO6D stated that it will have more information about its cameras after launch. GO6D’s 3-lens cameras (presumably including the Trie and Trie Pro) will be launched at the South by Southwest Conferences (SXSW) 2016 from March 11-20, 2016 in Austin, Texas. The “8-lens camera” (presumably Pinc) will be launched at the CEDIA 2016 expo from September 14-17, 2016 in Dallas, Texas.
GO6D is based in Irvine, California.