XPhase has begun shipping a new version of their camera. Here are five significant improvements.
XPhase Pro S (reviewed here) is the highest resolution 360 camera, with a capture resolution of 200mp and a stitched resolution of 135mp. The new version is now available (use this link to get a free extra 128GB thumb drive) and has several improvements:
1. Charge while using the camera. The original version had a charging port at the base of the handle. The problem was that the 1/4-20 tripod hole for the camera was on the cover of the charging port. This meant that when you were charging the camera, you could not mount the camera on a tripod. In the 2020 XPhase Pro, the charging port has been relocated to the handle and has been changed to a standard Micro USB port. This means you’ll be able to charge the camera while it is on a tripod.
2. Metal screw mount. In the original version, the cover for the USB and charging port was secured by a plastic screw mount. A few users reported that their covers broke off. In the 2020 XPhase, the screw mount has been changed to metal.
3. Wi-Fi has improved. The WiFi connection antenna has been changed to circuit board for a more stable Wi-Fi connection. Because of the new circuit board, there is a new, taller USB cover that is about 1 cm longer than the original.
4. Optional XPhase external battery. There is now an external battery pack that can increase the XPhase’s battery capacity by 6800 mah, which XPhase says is good for 3 hours of operation. It attaches to the base of the handle, is invisible and will not appear in the nadir of the photo.
5. Optional lens replacement kits. If any of your XPhase lenses are damaged, you can now purchase a lens replacement kit. XPhase said that the lenses have an anti-reflective coating to reduce glare.